California law requires that every employer shall furnish employment and a place of employment that is safe and healthful for employees. No employer shall require or permit any employee to go or be in any employment or place of employment that is not safe and healthful. It is illegal to discipline or terminate an employee who complains to an employer or government agency about an unsafe or dangerous workplace, as this may constitute retaliation against the employee for exercising their rights. This may also give rise to whistleblower claims against the employer. Retaliation against an employee who made a complaint of an unsafe and/or dangerous workplace may be in the form of:
- Counseling the employee after the employee has filed a complaint, either with the employer’s Human Resources or with a government agency, such as the Office of Safety and Health Administration (OSHA)
- Terminating/laying off the employee simply because they made the report of the unsafe workplace
- Reassigning the employee to another work department, especially if it is a less desirable position
- Creating a hostile work environment for the employee in an effort to force the employee to quit
- Denying the employee opportunities
- Overly monitoring and scrutinizing the employee
- Unfairly disciplining the employee
- Denying the employee benefits
- Refusing to rehire the employee if they were fired.
If you believe you are being forced to work in an unsafe workplace, or if you are being retaliated against for make complaints of a unsafe and dangerous workplace, give us a call at 855-IM-FIRED for a free case evaluation. Our attorneys have substantial experience with these types of cases representing individuals who have been been forced to work in unsafe and dangerous working conditions or who been retaliated against for making complaints and/or reports of an unsafe workplace.
There are no up-front costs and you do not pay any attorneys’ fees unless we get a recovery in the case.
Contact our Los Angeles California employment attorneys and lawyers now for all of your employee rights’ needs!
- Age Discrimination
- Sex/Gender Discrimination
- Pregnancy Discrimination
- Military Status Discrimination
- Sexual Harassment
- Sexual Assault
- Sexual Battery
- Hostile Work Environment
- Whistleblower Violations
- Sexual Orientation Discrimination (LGBTQIA+)
- Race/National Origin Discrimination
- Religious Discrimination
- Family Medical Leave Act/California Family Rights Act Violations
- Failure to Pay Minimum Wages
- Unsafe Workplace
- Unpaid Wages
- Unpaid Overtime
- Meal Period And Rest Break Violations
- Misclassification as an Independent Contractor
- Wrongful Termination